“The most important of the Lord’s work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes”
-President Harold B. Lee-

Monday, November 7, 2011

Special Family Council

Brian and the kids had a special family council last night for me. Brian took the kids into Quianna's room yesterday morning... I was wondering what was going on, but soon forgot about it.

Last night before bed, the kids and Brian sat on the couch across from me and they each took turns telling me how I have impacted them and told a story about me.

Elijah's likes how I make breakfast for them every morning and that I homeschool him. The story was that I would say, "I am going to homeschool, I am not going to homeschool... I am going to homeschool... I am not going to homeschool etc" He thought that was funny.

Quianna likes how I make good dinners and that I homeschool them. Her story was when I first came into the family and we had curry one night for dinner. Before that it was always buritos and hot dogs. She remembers the first night we had curry and she thought "Ooo! We're eating fancy" and she says now we eat fancy all the time. What's funny about this is that Brian introduced curry to me. It must have been introduced to the kids around the same time because they associate it with me.

Brian appreciates how he can have a peace of mind while he is away, knowing that his children are taken care of and being nurtured. He also likes how I have turned holidays into something magical and special for our family. He said if it was just him, it wouldn't happen. His story was the other day when he had to work late at EWU and didn't have much time to come home and eat before going to Gonzaga. I had his lunch ready to go mobile for him. When he said he was going to eat at home, I quickly adapted. He also mentioned how the lunch fit his needs perfectly as he was sick. He said he appreciates the countless times that I think of things similar to that to take care of him.

So, I learned last night that my family really likes my food. :-) Elijah - breakfast, Quianna - dinners, and Brian - lunch. :-)
Brian stressed at the end of the discussion how much better the family is with me. This was a really needed family council for me because lately I have been so uptight with so much going on that I have felt like all I bring to the family is a complaining iron fist. I was telling Brian how I feel like such a loser because I am not succeeding at anything. We talked about that - He said that right now I have just bitten off more than I can chew. It's true. Between All-City, homeschooling, Primary chorister, mom, and housewife - I just can't do everything at my 100%.

Today was better. I exercised (!), got the kitchen clean (no the floors weren't mopped, but the counters are clean and that's an accomplishment right now), we did homeschool very well, AND I did 2 hours of All-city work. I am tired. However, when Brian gets home tonight I am going shopping for food. I hope he comes home quickly because I would like to be in bed as close to 10:30 as possible.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. hey, I don't know if you're interested, but I started using flylady.net and getting her emails and it's really helping me keep my house cleaner. It's all about creating routines and just doing a little at a time so you don't have to do a massive "cleaning day" to get the house clean and then feel exhausted afterwards. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it and give you the chance to check it out if you want. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I LOVE flylady - I was using her for a while, and I still try to keep with my routines (however simple they may be) but with our schedule different everyday it is so hard! I really need to clean out my control journal and get back to using it again. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete